Monday, April 16, 2012

the good, the bad, and the really bad

Along with being unnaturally obsessed with television shows, I also love love love movies.  Other than some actors being in both movies and TV, the only time the worlds collide is on talk shows. Now the dedication I give to my favorite TV shows, I give to my favorite movies and actors. Therefore, I always try and watch them when they are on various talk shows.

If you've read my previous blog posts, you could have probably already guessed that I have a strong opinions about these talk show hosts, since I tend to have a strong opinion about everything.  There is nothing I hate more than an awkward interview and I think that has a lot to do with the interviewer. Although audiences love for all their burning questions to be answered, it does not help to make the actor/actress feel uncomfortable. That, in turn, makes the audience feel uncomfortable.

photo courtesy of google images

He may have been on air for about a quarter of a century but my least favorite interviewer of all time is Regis Philbin.  He is a talk show veteran and I've only seen him do interviews in recent years but I think he is so incredibly awkward.  Kelly Ripa is so bright and bubbly that she often outshines his dull and clueless questions.  Being a Harry Potter Fan, I watched him interview the same trio over and over again. He asked the same questions every time and as a viewer it was monotonous and boring.  Even one time Emma Watson actually said to Regis, "You ask me this every time I come here."  The only redeeming quality of Regis Philbin is the Live with Regis and Kelly SNL skit; Darrell Hammond and Amy Poehler are dead on.

photo courtesy of google images
I like an interviewer that asks off beat questions and keeps it interesting.  I mentioned this fine gentlemen in my first blog post alluding to the fact that I would love to be married to him.  As he transitioned from Saturday Night Live to late night he blossomed into one of my favorite late night talk show hosts.  Late Night with Jimmy Fallon is the definition of entertainment.  Not only is he hilariously funny but he is so personable.  Even some of the most shy and interview uncomfortable actor/actresses open up and can have fun when on his show.  With every guest he has some random game prepared that requires little skill but it is always amusing and funny!  The other great thing about Jimmy as a talk show host is that when he has guests that have come on before he actually remembers what they talked about previously and often references the last time they were on.  This makes it seem like the guests really matter to him and that makes the show so much more enjoyable.

Honorable Mention for the Worst Interviewer:  David Letterman- ugh he can be such a jackass sometimes.

Honorable Mentions for the Best Interviewers: Conan O Brien and Jay Leno.  Both are very funny and great at keeping the guests on their toes without making them feel awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment