Monday, April 2, 2012

smash

Everyone who knows me well knows about my obsession with television shows.  So when spring/fall pilot season comes around I am bombarded with “Oh my gosh you HAVE to watch this show or that show, it’s so good”.  The problem that comes from this is that I already watch far too many shows and adding another is always difficult.  Therefore there haven’t been too many shows that I have watched from the very beginning; I usually wait to drop a show and then catch up on all the past seasons.  The shows this year that I have been instructed to watch are Revenge, The New Girl and more recently, Smash.  I still have yet to watch The New Girl, I’ll probably catch up on that this summer, but Smash has really caught my attention.  First off, I have a love for Debra Messing, from Will and Grace to the Wedding Date how can you not love her. Secondly, I have a love for Broadway and musicals.  Those two things alone have sparked my interest to just buckle down and watch the season’s first eight episodes.
 

I first watched the most recent episode with my roommate Jamie, she is a huge Smash advocate.  I was instantly addicted.  Then, over the past week/weekend I caught up on the other episodes.  Let me first off say that Katharine Mcphee as Karen Cartwright is sensational.  She is so good its not even funny.  Her competition in the show, Ivy Lynn, played by Megan Hilty is extremely talented as well. The show centers around a group of people including, stars, producers, writers and directors all working together to create a new broadway musical based on Marilyn Monroe. Smash gives insight into the behind the scenes work that goes into creating a musical.  The great thing about this show is that you become completley enthralled with the characters and story line.  I found myself genuinely rooting for this musical to succeed during the workshop episode.  I find Smash to be a more mature version of Glee.  It includes far less musical numbers and the plot is more sophisticated. The cast is so incredible and talented and I can't wait to see what else season 1 has in store for audiences.  Smash was also picked up for a second season on March 22, 2012, so it seems like it's here to stay!!  Check out a new episode of Smash tonight 4-2-2012 at 10:00 after The Voice on NBC!!

No comments:

Post a Comment