Monday, December 10, 2012

triple threat

I read a book last Christmas called "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns)" that changed my life.  Okay, that might be is a dramatic overstatement but it was a seriously hilarious and inspiring book.  The book is the story of Mindy Kaling who I believe is the ultimate triple threat.  Now in the entertainment world most people consider a triple threat to be someone who can act, dance and sing but I think that's overrated! There are tons of talented people out there that can do all those things and they are probably all trying to be on Glee.

Courtesy of Google Images
Mindy Kaling is the smart, funny, cool girl version of a triple threat as a talented actor, writer, and producer. Although she has had some small parts in big movies (No Strings Attached, Five Year Engagement), she got her "big break" in the industry as a writer on this little show called The Office.  Many people who watch the show might know her as Kelly Kapoor, the office's gossip and overall chatterbox, but she also is a writer, producer and sometimes director of the show as well.  As Kelly Kapoor, who was mainly a background character, Kaling was often a scene stealer in her 8 seasons on the show (I desperately hope she returns for this years final season to say goodbye).  More recently, Kaling can be seen on The Mindy Project, a new show on Fox that she created, stars in and often writes for. The Mindy Project is one of my favorite new shows, not only because Kaling is great in it but it shows a strong female lead that maybe doesn't know exactly what she's doing all the time but either way she is confident and extremely likable.

I 1000% think all girls should read her book.  She is honest, open and absolutely hysterical.  She talks about a lot of subjects that women might struggle with and writes in such a relatable tone.  After reading this book, I immediately wanted to be her friend as I do most of the funny women in Hollywood, i.e. Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Kristen Wiig, etc.  The thing that attracts me to these women is that they never apologize for being exactly who they are, flaws and all.  Obviously it's just a book and I don't know her personally but either way it gives me hope that maybe if I keep plugging away I can make it in the entertainment industry too, on my own terms.

The Mindy Project comes on Tuesdays on FOX at 9:30 after The New Girl.  Everyone should watch these two shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment